Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Is the Manufacturer Hitting the Mark?

I previously conducted secondary research to assess the target market for the Ford Mustang (see post Assessing the Marketplace). Having conducted my own original research with a small number of consumers, I am able to better identify if the message being delivered by Ford for the Mustang is in alignment with consumer perceptions for the vehicle. In essence, I am able to discern if my research is  consistent with the published information I previously evaluated.

In my secondary research, I found that people purchase the Ford Mustang for emotional reasons - not because it is a good family car or has a large towing capacity. This is evident in the dimensions assessed by my audience. They indicated through their survey results that the terms wholesome, cheerful, imaginative, upper-class, and charming are all somewhat descriptive of the Ford Mustang will the terms daring, spirited, and up-to-date are generally descriptive of the vehicle. These are all emotional concepts, allowing a consumer to make a connection with the vehicle that is based on a feeling, a desire, not a need. The areas of competence and ruggedness were assessed as being somewhere between not very descriptive and somewhat descriptive.

Overall, the vehicle is portrayed as being fun, cool, powerful, customizable, and indicative of one's personality. I can definitely see this presentation of the vehicle being agreed upon by consumers in the survey I completed regarding perceptions of the traits.  

1 comment: